Saturday, April 17, 2010

What We Eat

So here's a break down of the things we do and do not eat. Our diets are mostly the same with a few differences that I will provide.

These are the things we avoid (there are always exceptions here and there):
sugar
high fructose corn syrup
hydrogenated oils/ trans fats
saturated fats (except those found in avacoados and such)
processed food like white flour and quick oats, etc.
high amounts of salt
* (because of my blood sugar issues, I also have to avoid fruit, honey, potatoes, and popcorn. But Dan eats these things in large quantities)

So this means that we do eat a lot of whole grains, fruits (for Daniel), vegetables, beans, nuts, and lowfat dairy. I am more willing to eat more fatty foods than Daniel, which means that I will eat full fat dairy products sometimes. We don't buy foods that come in packages or that have been pre-prepared (other than condiments).

A typical day involves eating oatmeal or homemade toast (bread recipe in previous post) with the butter/oil combination on it, and a glass of 1% milk.

Lunch is either leftovers from dinner the night before or something like tuna salad or chicken salad sandwiches, or Adams natural peanut butter sandwiches.

Dinner is often a casserole of some sort because I think they are easier to make and we like eating them as leftovers. I will provide some recipe examples later. I like casseroles because I can put beans and grains like amaranth or teff or quinoa or millet in them and it still tastes really good. It's also a way to get lots of good veggies.

Snack foods are a must for me. Our snack foods include bean and hummus dips (made from dry beans with no fats added), peanut butter oatmeal cookies (all healthy ingredients), and tuna salad.

I will post recipes in the next post :)

No comments:

Post a Comment