Thursday, July 9, 2009

Cream Sauces

To make cream sauces healthier you can use half the cream sauce that it asks for and half 1% milk that has been thickened with Ultragel. You get Ultragel at a health food store and it is good because it thickens things that are cold or hot. It's great for things like potato salad that aren't cooked. It has tons of uses.














In this picture I used it for a pasta salad dressing and I just seasoned the milk-gel mixture with garlic salt, pepper, and seasonings and it was great! It works for alfredo and any other cream sauce.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Elise, can I submit a question? I was wondering if you guys drink milk. If so, do you drink cow's milk? Do you drink organic or some kind of grass-fed raw milk straight from the farm? I've always bought the cheapest King Soopers variety, chock full of hormones and what-not, but after feeding Claire 16+ oz. of it for the past 3 months (after weaning from breastmilk), I am not sure if it's the best thing for her. You always do so much research about food that I thought I'd see what you've decided as far as milk goes. Buying organic or fancy milk would significantly hurt our grocery budget so I want to make sure it's worth it!

    ReplyDelete