Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Beans!















These are a staple around here. We use them in about everything. Dry beans are way cheap and so good for you.
I just cook them in the crock pot for about 6 or more hours and drain them and use them. I don't do all those extra soaking steps, and it works just fine for me. We use about every kind of bean...if you just buy a small bag each time you go to the store, you will have a good collection before long.
When the beans are done in the crock pot, I drain them and put them in the fridge. Then I use them all week in our salads, casseroles, quesadillas, etc. They add good protein and fiber.

2 comments:

  1. What a cute new blog! Love it! I do the same thing with beans. I have what I call a "Bean Library" in my freezer :). I put them in one-can portions (1 1/2 cups) in freezer bags and freeze them flat (folding the top half of the bag over) so that they fit perfectly standing up in the shelf on the door of my freezer. I also cook huge batches in the crockpot so I have a variety ready to go in the freezer. I didn't know you could skip the soaking step!!! I'm definitely gonna try that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy, this will be a great resource, Elise, when we return to the US and get all our appliances back! We don't even have an oven here! Once, back in Provo, I tried making a loaf of garlic bread, but it came out a rock solid football. Andrew tried eating it, but after a month of gnawing on it he decided that enough was enough and threw it away. It would have made a great doorstop.

    ReplyDelete